Tuesday was the first day of my preceptorship at a local emergency room. This is me in my uniform (you can kind of see my sparkly crimson headband. I thought I would spiffy-up for my first day!) For those who are not familiar with nursing school, our preceptorship is sort of like an internship. We are paired with a RN and we work her schedule, for 225 hours. I chose the ER because I like the variety, and I feel like I will get the most "bang for my (parents) buck" as far as experience goes. During this time we are supposed to make this alleged "miraculous transformation" from students to GRADUATE NURSES. Or that's what our teachers keep telling us...I met my preceptor as I came on the unit. She is a pure-blooded Italian, native to New York, with the accent and cooking skills to match. She knows her stuff and is a great nurse. I really like her and think I will learn a lot from her.
Not too much happened my first day. A shot here. An IV there. I got to participate in a "Code Strong". This is a show of force when a patient is acting in a "threatening manner". And since the hospital I am at has an on-site mental facility, we get lots of psychiatric emergencies. Those patients sometimes behave in a "threatening manner," much like the patient I was able to help restrain, along with no less than 10 other people. Other than that, nothing too exciting happened.
For the next 225 hours, I will be consumed with emergency medicine. But working the shifts that I do, those hours are going to fly! I am really excited and think this is going to be a fun change of pace!

No comments:
Post a Comment