Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Arivaderchi, Roma!

This is our final day in Rome! Tomorrow we will be flying home to the states. While this trip has been so cool and I have loved being in Europe, I am ready to go home. I can only eat so much delicious pasta and see only so many ancient churches.

Today we went to the Catacombs to Saint Callisto. This is the site where over half a million early Christians were buried. Under Pagan rule in Rome, these Christians were persecuted for their faith. This is the former burial place of quite a few popes, before they were moved to the Vatican for their final burial. The catacombs venture down 4 levels underground, because the land was free. Burials occurred between 150-450 AD. They would have to pay for any above ground land, and the early Christians were fairly poor. The Pagans respected the burial grounds, and the Christians took advantage of this. They would set up altars to worship in the catacombs. There are over 50 catacombs/churches in Rome. Eventually Rome was declared safe for Christians, and they could worship freely. It was amazing to see that so many people would risk their lives just to worship God!
One of the above-ground entrance to the Catacombs

To finish up this trip in Roman style, we had dinner by the Colosseum. I wonder how many others through the years have eaten outside this place, waiting to see a gladiator fight.

Of course, we finished the evening with a gelato! I can't get enough of this stuff! We have eaten gelato everyday, and everyday I have gotten a different flavor!


AND...we have eaten at an outdoor cafe for every meal, except breakfast, since arriving in Europe! Success!

My entire trip can be seen in these three albums!

Well, I guess I will be signing off from Europe. Next post will come from the good ol' US of A!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment