Thursday, July 15, 2010

Roman Holiday

When I woke up this morning, I was in Italy! We arrived at the Rome train station a little after 9AM. We couldn't check into the hotel yet, so we went sightseeing! We stopped in quite a few churches, some which my dad has never seen (it seems like he has seen every church in Rome!) They were very nice.
Gesu et Mariae

Basilica dei ss ambrogio carlo

Piazza del Popolo Twin Churches

Of course, lunch was authentic Italian! Delicious! I can't stay in this country too long, I will weigh 3000 pounds!
Yum!

We made a stop at the Pantheon. It was being repaired, so it was hard to see the outside. This inside was as wonderful as ever.
Inside the Pantheon

The Spanish Steps are a monument to the Spanish King. This is a neat hangout for locals and visitors alike.

Whenever I see the Colosseum my mind goes straight to...no, not gladiators...but Arthur. The animated cartoon show from when I was younger. His friend Buster once sang a song about Rome. "Ancient Rome...it's not like home...colosseum...gotta see 'um..."

Arch of Constantine and the Colosseum

The Forum used to be the center of government. Some of the buildings still stand. It's unbelievable that there are buildings dating back to before Jesus' time!
Former Senate buildings

San Giovani is my FAVORITE church! They just don't make them like this in America!
San Giovani, front side

Piazza Navona is a lively place. There are street artists everywhere painting, drawing, creating so many different masterpieces!
Piazza Navona and Fontana dei fuimi

In Rome, the Trevi fountain is a must! It has been said that if you throw a coin in the fountain, you are destined to return. Well, in 2006 I threw a coin in...and here I am! I believe I will be tossing another one!

Facebook it!

No comments:

Post a Comment