Sunday, July 18, 2010

Rome-ing around :)

Today was a relaxed day in Rome. We didn't head out to sight-see until after noon. We started off with a trip to the Baths of Diocletian. These were Roman baths converted into a church. Apparently they had a bad reputation, and Michelangelo was brought in to redecorate. I insisted that this was one of my dad's tricks to get me into another church! He said nothing about the baths being remodeled until we got there. I thought we were going to see ruins. You win once again, Padre!
Outside

Inside

Next, our travels took us outside the city walls to Saint Paul's Basilica. This is a little known place, but beautiful church. Supposedly Paul is buried there, and his chains from the Roman prison are there too.
Saint Paul's Basilica
Paul's chains and tomb

After Saint Paul's, we took the train to Circus Maximus. This area below Palatine Hill, where the emperor lived, housed many races and sporting events. It would hold 250,000 people!
Circus Maximus
Palatine Hill

Near Palatine Hill is the Church of Truth. In this church is the Mouth of Truth. Legend has it, if you put your hand in the mouth, and you tell a lie, your hand will be chopped off. I did not try this.


Last stop of the day way the Vatican. It's Sunday, so where else should we be but church? They were having mass and it was really neat to hear the acoustics in the church while the choir sang. I never saw The Pope, guess he doesn't make appearances very often.
Saint Peter's Basilica

Just as a side note, since being in Europe, we have eaten at an outdoor cafe every meal except breakfast. That's 7 days in a row. We are on a roll now!

Also, I was told it include in my blog: "Man, my dad is in such great shape for being 48! He hikes up and down these streets all day. Even when I take a nap and he doesn't, he still packs the pavement."

See more of this pavement packing...

No comments:

Post a Comment