Sunday, July 18, 2010

Samantha Brown has nothing on me!

So we embarked on an adventure to Pisa! It all started by us boarding a train in Rome headed up the coast. We were in first class (wahoo!) and getting settled for the ride. As we were waiting to leave, we got a taste of true Roma Termini (Rome train station). In ENGLISH a man started yelling, "NO! STOP! GET AWAY! PICKPOCKETS!" Termini is known to be a prime location for pickpockets, and this American was targeted. They will typically strike when your hands are full of luggage and there is nothing you can do. Luckily, this man was able to grab the girl, and his wallet, and the police came to get them. So that was our exciting start to the day.


After an uneventful, yet beautiful train ride up the coast, we arrived in Pisa. Now Pisa ia a neighborhood with a small area of tourist attractions. So we made our way across the Arno River to the tourist area.
Arno River

The whole way there, I was becoming one with my inner Samantha Brown from the Travel Channel, and I HAD to get the perfect picture with the Leaning Tower of Pisa! So the entire time we were touring the other buildings, I was trying to figure out the perfect angle, distance, sun rays, everything! I did enjoy the Baptistery (built to honor John the Baptist), Campo dei Miricoli (church), and camposanto (museum), but I had to get to the tower!

Baptistery

Campo dei Miricoli

Camposanto

Finally, it was time for our tour of the Leaning Tower! We climbed the 250+ stairs to the top of the bell tower. The stairwell was narrow, and you could feel the lean of the tower, but the view was amazing. You could see all the way to the mountains surrounding the Tuscan area. I stood there thinking "Holy cow! I'm at the top of the Leaning Tower of Pisa!" It was surreal. I highly recommend it!


As for my ideal picture...well...I think Samantha Brown would be proud...


For the rest of the Pisa adventure...

No comments:

Post a Comment