Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Pompeii-hey-hey-hey!

While Dad was working, I took a bus trip to Pompeii, with a few stops along the way. I went with a guide service here in Rome. My bus picked me up bright and early and we hit the road! It was an English/Spanish tour, and little did I know that only 8 of us going to Pompeii (out of about 35) spoke English...

Our first stop was Naples. From here a group would catch a boat to Capri, and the rest of us would continue to Pompeii. Naples has not been my favorite city, but it was interesting to go on a short tour.
Downtown Naples

Our local tour guide

After lunch, we proceeded to Pompeii. By now, those of us that spoke English had identified each other and formed our own little group. The guide would explain things in Spanish first. He would talk for 3-4 minutes, and the group would laugh and carry on. Then he would say a sentence in English and move on. I think we were a little cheated. Nevertheless, Pompeii was very cool. The city was frozen in time when Mount Vesuvius erupted in 79 AD. No lava reached Pompeii, but volcanic ash fell on the city and hardened into a concrete. This preserved the city. When it was finally found and excavated, frescoes, homes, and people were encapsulated and preserved. The bodies that were found had skeletons and bones intact. They are still intact today. One day, a volcano erupted and time stopped. Now, history is there for us to see. This was such a neat experience! It is beyond words to walk the streets, touch the houses, and see the people of 79 AD.
Inside a Greek-style home

A body found in the grocery store. Some of the bones are visible and preserved.
The Pompeii Forum, with Mount Vesuvius in the background

I got back to the hotel around 10:30, almost 4 hours after the brochure said we would return. Of course, Dad is pacing the lobby and bothering the concierge about when the tour will return. If you are ever in Rome, I highly recommend taking a tour to Pompeii!

No comments:

Post a Comment